Can a machine do it better than I can? Yes, of Course! And when that happens we call it Artificial Intelligence (AI). If your inner Sheldon Cooper keeps calling out, why not pursue one of these Artificial Intelligence Courses Australia and become an AI Guru?
Given the vast future potential of Artificial Intelligence (AI) as an industry, many individuals are now opting to follow specific programmes of study that help them not only become professionally qualified but along the way obtain the skills, knowledge and experience required for them to stand out.
In this blog post we share the Top 10 (AI) Artificial Intelligence Courses in Australia for 2024:
- Undergraduate Artificial Intelligence Course at The Australian National University
- Master of Information Technology at The University of Melbourne
- Master of Engineering (Intelligent Information Engineering) at The University of Sydney
- Masters of Information Technology in Machine Learning at The University of New South Wales
- Master of Information Technology at The University of Queensland
- Masters of Artificial Intelligence Course at Monash University
- Bachelor of Advanced Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence Course) at The University of Western Australia
- Graduate Diploma in Machine Learning at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Artificial Intelligence Course at RMIT University
- Bachelor of Artificial Intelligence Course at Deakin University
What is Artificial Intelligence?
Artificial Intelligence or AI can be described as the simulation of human intelligence within machines that eventually learn to think like and mimic the actions of humans.
The term ‘Artificial Intelligence’ was coined by American Scientist John McCarthy in 1955.
The science of Artificial Intelligence (AI) might be defined as the construction of intelligent systems and their analysis. A natural definition of systems is anything that has an input and an output stream. Intelligence is more complicated.
It can have many faces like creativity, solving problems, pattern recognition, classification, learning, induction, deduction, building analogies, optimization, surviving in an environment, language processing, knowledge and many more. A formal definition incorporating every aspect of intelligence, however, seems difficult.Marcus Hutter in Universal Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence (AI) qualifications empower professionals to design, develop, create and operate, products, systems, technologies and software for numerous sectors, industries and organisations.
Examples of Artificial Intelligence
- Search Engines like Google
- Recommendation Systems like YouTube
- Human Speech Recognition like Alexa
- Self Driving Cars like Tesla
- Strategic Games like Maia Chess
- Automated Investing Systems like SoFi
- Disease Mapping Technology like HealthMap
- Facial Detection and Recognition like Clarifai
Job Prospects after an Artificial Intelligence Australia Qualification
Artificially intelligent systems are the future. For all industries. Almost any industry that you can think of, already does or soon will have AI being used to optimize processes and decrease human error.
Here are just a few of the potential industries with demand for individuals with an Artificial Intelligence (AI) qualification:
- Computer Science
- Data and Algorithms
- Research Science
- Digital Entertainment
- Higher Education
Five Reasons to pursue one of these Artificial Intelligence (AI) Courses
- You get to learn from world leading experts
- The syllabus and curriculum is highly aligned with industry
- Certain courses include a period of industry experience or work placements
- A globally recognised and accepted qualification from an Australian University
- If you qualify, you will also become a member of the Australian Computer Society (ACS) founded in 1966
A Word on Minimum Qualifications
The minimum qualification for most undergraduate courses would be some form of basic qualification or equivalent in a field related to Information Technology.
The minimum qualification for post-graduate courses is a completed Bachelor degree or equivalent in a field related to Information Technology.
A Word on Fees
Fees for most courses are complex in nature and we haven’t gone into them in detail in this post.
A Word on Scholarships
Many of the Universities mentioned in this article offer scholarships, bursaries and grants based on a wide platform of eligibility criteria.
Some cover part of the fees whereas others cover the whole cost including stipends for living and other expenses.
A Word on Blended Learning
Many universities now offer Blended Learning, where certain elements of the course are taught in-person and the others remotely.
There is also the ever-increasing option to follow a majority of courses 100% online as well as universities respond to the demands of students who wish to learn remotely.
“An ideal (perfect) intelligent machine is a flexible agent which perceives its environment and takes actions to maximize its chance of success at some goal or objective.” Marcus Hutter in Universal Artificial Intelligence
Now that you have a better understanding of the validity and potential of studying Artificial Intelligence (AI) here are the Top 10 (AI) Artificial Intelligence Courses Australia for 2023:
1. Undergraduate Artificial Intelligence Course at The Australian National University
This course aims to equip students with core Artificial Intelligence techniques with reference to search, planning, designing intelligent agents and the representation of knowledge and reasoning. Students will also obtain a deeper understanding of the foundations of AI.
Duration: 4 Years Full-Time
Location: Acton Campus, Canberra
Additional Courses: Advanced Topics in Artificial Intelligence
Ranking: 27 in the QS World University Rankings 2022
2. Master of Information Technology at The University of Melbourne
This postgraduate course offers students an advanced understanding of computing, Artificial Intelligence, distributed computing, cybersecurity and technical skills.
Duration: 2 Years Full-Time
Location: Parkville Campus, Melbourne
Additional Courses: Master of Software Engineering
Rankings: 37 in the QS World University Rankings 2022
3. Master of Engineering (Intelligent Information Engineering) at The University of Sydney
Students will immerse themselves in advanced technologies related to deep learning, embedded systems, information processing and Artificial Intelligence.
Duration: 1.5 Years Full-Time
Location: Camperdown/Darlington Campus, Sydney
Ranking: 38 in the QS World University Rankings 2022
4. Master of Information Technology in Machine Learning at The University of New South Wales
This course will help students to develop frameworks, applications products and services for Artificial Intelligence, bioinformatics, database systems, e-commerce systems, information technology , data science, cyber security and engineering .
Duration: 2 Years Full-Time
Location: UNSW Global Campus, Sydney
Ranking: 43 in the QS World University Rankings 2022
5. Masters of Information Technology at The University of Queensland
This Course provides students with advanced skills in web development, software development, information systems and other aspects of information technology.
Students can choose to follow subjects in computer systems, web information systems, human-computer interaction, Artificial Intelligence, network and computer security.
Duration: 2 Years Full-Time
Location: St Lucia Campus, Brisbane
Additional Courses: Graduate Diploma in Information Technology / Graduate Certificate in Information Technology
Ranking: 47 in the QS World University Rankings 2022
6. Master of Artificial Intelligence Course at Monash University
This course helps students to retain specialist knowledge of Artificial Intelligence transformation through the study of advanced AI applications.
Duration: 1.5 or 2 Years Full-Time
Location: Clayton Campus, Melbourne
Additional Course: Graduate Certificate in Artificial Intelligence
Ranking: 58 in the QS World University Rankings 2022
7. Bachelor of Advanced Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence Course) at The University of Western Australia
The Bachelor of Advanced Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) will arm students with the skills and knowledge required to understand, evaluate, design and implement artificial intelligence systems.
This Course includes hands-on practice in AI and deep learning alongside the philosophical context for AI in the real world.
Duration: 4 Years Full-Time
Location: Crawley Campus, Perth
Additional Course: Master of Information Technology
Ranking: 93 in the QS World University Rankings 2022
8. Graduate Diploma in Machine Learning at The University of Adelaide
The Graduate Diploma in Machine Learning is offered by the University of Adelaide’s world-renowned Australian Institute of Machine Learning and presents students the opportunity to acquire high-level technical skills in machine learning and Artificial Intelligence application development.
Duration: 1 Year Full-Time
Location: North-Terrace Campus, Adelaide
Additional Courses: Graduate Certificate in Machine Learning / Master of Machine Learning
Ranking: 108 in the QS World University Rankings 2022
9. Master of Artificial Intelligence Course at RMIT University
Focused on Artificial Intelligence theory and applications, students on this course will learn and understand how to design and implement systems and applications in the university’s AI Lab and also receive a background on the role that ethics and social responsibility play in the future of AI.
Duration: 2 Years Full-Time
Location: City Campus, Melbourne
Additional Courses: Graduate Certificate in Foundation of Artificial Intelligence / Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
Ranking: 206 in the QS World University Rankings 2022
10. Bachelor of Artificial Intelligence Course at Deakin University
This Bachelor of Artificial Intelligence course provides students with industry oriented knowledge and skills required to design, develop and evolve AI software solutions.
Duration: 3 Years Full-Time
Location: Waurn Ponds Campus, Geelong
Additional Courses: Graduate Certificate of Artificial Intelligence for Business / Master of Applied Artificial Intelligence
Ranking: 283 in the QS World University Rankings 2022
5 Questions for Those Considering Artificial Intelligence Courses Australia
- Validity and Credibility – Is the awarding body accredited, established, recognized and reputed?
2. Academic Resources – Who is in the Academic Faculty for my proposed study course, what are their profiles, experience and accomplishments?
3. Technical Resources – What lab facilities are on offer? What equipment and other resources are accessible, will you have access to the latest in cutting-edge technology?
4. Commitment to Research and Innovation – What programmes or schemes are on offer for the particular university to undertake research, innovation and development?
5. Can I afford it? This is a very pertinent question and it would very much rely on the opportunity cost of pursuing one of these courses and the potential salary or societal rewards and job opportunities available post-graduation.
Which Artificial Intelligence Courses Australia Do We Think Are The Best?
Diploma Level – Graduate Diploma in Machine Learning Artificial Intelligence Course at The University of Adelaide
Undergraduate Level – Undergraduate Artificial Intelligence Course at The Australian National University
Postgraduate Level – Master of Information Technology at The University of Melbourne
Future of Artificial Intelligence Courses Australia
As the domain of Artificial Intelligence continues to grow and expand the demand for those with AI qualifications is only set to increase.
In the future, Artificial Intelligence Courses will aim to deliver students more than the basic fundamentals and instead provide access to the latest cutting edge advances and technologies that will transform AI and its everyday application across numerous industries and sectors.
- Decide which area of AI you wish to Study
- Do some Research on Each of the Universities
- Apply and be Accepted to a University
- Graduate as a Highly Employable AI Profesional
The future of yesterday is certainly not the future of today and as AI and Machine Learning become more relevant to the many aspects of our lives, obtaining a qualification in AI is sure to put you one step ahead of the rest.
When it comes to selecting Artificial Intelligence Courses Australia 2023, make sure to find out everything about the university, the course, research opportunities, prospects for employment and future career growth and stability.